Are You Ready to Get Started with Online Sports Betting?
Betting real Rands on sports is a favourite past time for many punters. That’s because it makes watching sports, and following your favourite teams and players, even more exciting. It’s also pretty lucrative for those who take the time to learn the ins and outs of sports betting.
When it comes to betting on sports, you have a few choices – you can take a trip to a physical bookie, or you can sit back, relax, and sign up at online sports betting sites. We’d say betting websites are by far the easiest and most convenient way to bet money on sporting events.
What You Need to Know
One of the easiest ways to find a reliable and safe sportsbook is to check out our recommendations for the best sites for South African bettors.
Once you’ve created a new account and you’re ready to start betting, there are a few things you’ll need to know.
- Different sportsbooks – not all sportsbooks are the same. Some will only focus on local or international markets, some are more suited for beginners, some don’t offer live betting, and each one offers different types of promotions.
- Sports picks – these are tips for who you think is going to win or lose a match. Some tips will offer free picks and others may charge.
- Win-rate – bettors need to do a little better than about 52% to break even.
- Making a living – while you can make a living through online sports betting sites, it’s not easy. You’ll need to beat the book by more than 52% of the time to overcome the house edge, and you’re going to need a hefty bankroll to make a profit, and for times when you lose.
- Pre-match vs. live betting – pre-match betting happens before a match begins, whereas live betting, also known as in-play betting, occurs when you make bets on matches in real time.
- So much to choose from – betting websites offer a wide range of sports to bet on and not just the usual cricket and rugby. There’s everything from golf and basketball, to ice hockey, the Olympics, politics, TV Shows, and so much more.
- Age restrictions – in South Africa, you must be 18 years and older to take part in sports betting.
- Line shopping – this is when you compare lines at different online sports betting sites to find the best price for the markets you really want to bet on.
- Multiple accounts – it’s a good idea to have accounts on a few recommended sites. It gives you the chance to shop around, and bookies tend to be different in the markets they offer. Also, each site offers a range of different bonuses and promotions. So, the more accounts you have, the more options there are for you, and the better the deals.
- Different odds – each bookie sets the odds according to how it sees best fits based on trends, experience, and public perception.
Where to Get Started
Using the right betting websites is crucial. You should always aim to join only those sites that are trustworthy, safe, and have a solid reputation. That’s why the team at 24/7 Bets does all the legwork for you. We rate and review the best sites for our South African punters so that you can place your bets with peace of mind while enjoying the best deals around.
Getting started on a site is quick and easy, too. All you have to do is fill in your details to open a new player account, make your first deposit, and start placing wagers. Most sites offer mobile platforms, too, so you can login into your account from your mobile device’s browser or the site’s app and bet on-the-go.
The sites that make our list of recommendations all cater for South Africans and offer banking options from local wire transfers to e-wallets, and credit and debit cards for your withdrawal and deposit convenience.
What Makes a Sportsbook Good?
When we review betting websites for you, we put them through a strict checklist of requirements that they need to meet to be suitable for our bettors.
We use the following criteria to determine if a sportsbook is good:
- The amount of betting markets that the site covers
- How many propositions are on offer
- How good the betting lines may be for each market
- The way in which skilled punters are treated
- The types of betting limits that are imposed
- The types of promotions and bonuses the site offers, and how regularly they update these offers
- If the sportsbook is easy to use
- Whether or not there are live video feeds
- How customer service fares
- The safety and security of the site
- The banking options available on the site
Safe, Secure, and Legal Online Betting Sites
In South Africa, there seems to be confusion in terms of the legal position of online gambling and betting in our country.
The good news is that online sports betting is legit in S.A., and has been for several years. The online sports betting sites that we rate, review, and recommend all operate within well-established legal and highly regulated frameworks, usually administered by national and provincial boards.
The boards ensure that betting websites and customers are protected and that responsible gambling practices are promoted.
Be aware that using your local credit cards to bet with sports betting sites that aren’t licensed in South Africa could contravene the associated exchange control regulations.
Are you ready to dive into the world of sports betting? Be sure to check out our list of recommended betting websites, read the reviews, understand the t’s and c’s, and start betting.